Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Just ask!

People say this, "if you need anything, JUST ask" like it should be an easy thing. Maybe it is for some or even most people. It isn't for me.

I don't know where it came from, but I'm afraid to 'just ask' for pretty much anything. From anyone. I've actually improved a lot since being married to Lester. He won't stand for me cowering in the corner when I should be asking a sales associate to get me a pair of shoes from the top shelf.

I have the most difficult time asking for things that seem to put another person out for my sake. I hate it. I really really really hate it. But I've felt this way for so long I don't know how to think, feel or act any other way. AND the anxiety involved with asking makes me reconsider the worth of the thing I am asking for. Lots of times, it just isn't worth it.

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

"if you ever need anything, just ask." we got told that so much with Brigham and I felt the same way. Then one day a girl said, "can I have your girls over for a couple of hours today? then they won't be scared of us when Brigham's recovering and you can send them over whenever you want." WOW! I just totally appreciated that so much. She ended up being my best friend in this neighborhood (they're moving :( ). And it was because she made a specific offer of help. I am really trying to learn from that experience.

TaLaisa said...

I agree. I find people are more willing to accept help when you say, "I can do___ for you". I have learned that, so there is a great lesson in this kind of struggle.

Linda said...

I have a really hard time with this as well, TaLaisa. It has also gotten much better since I married Seth. I still remember when we were saying, "We should go walking sometime..." Finally Lester just said, "We have to go. Pick a time and do it!" He reminded me a lot of Seth then.

It is definately easier to let people do something for you when they say this is what I want to do.