Sunday, June 22, 2008

Make-up Fiend

As long as I can remember, I've had a fascination with make-up. A deep abiding fascination. My earliest memories involve wandering around the cosmetics aisles of the Smith's grocery store. I would go to do the weekly shopping with my parents and the minute we walked in the door they would go one way and I would go the other. I would study the colors, brands and especially the sale priced items, the entire time my parents shopped. When they were ready to check out, they knew where to find me.

I spent a lot of my allowance on make-up. We were allowed to do a make-up day one day a week. Always on Friday. Even then I had a lot of make-up for one day a week 'play time'. I also had neighbor friends who knew about make-up day and would come play that day hoping to be made up. I loved to pretend I was a make-up artist, I'd paint anyone who'd hold still long enough. I had aspirations of doing make-up on movie stars. But I'd settle for working at Glamour Shots or Cover Look (remember those places??? tons of make-up, feather boa's, Big BIG hair, and pictorial proof of it all?).

As I've aged my collection has grown and my skill level improved. I even allow myself to dream about being a make-up artist, maybe working in a salon or at a make-up counter in a department store. For now, I'm happy working to cover the dark circles under my eyes and adding a little color and variety to my look. I love to do make-up 'lessons' for a Young Women activity or do make-overs at Girls Night Out, or girls night in.

Last night I googled mineral make-up and found these awesome tutorials, by a girl in England, on Youtube. I watched almost 2 hours worth of her tutorials, after the boys were asleep. I was in awe. She must have a desk covered in pots of colorful powders, because I don't remember seeing her use the same color more than once, with a few exceptions. You have to see for yourself. Make-up genius.
She has over 150 videos of different make-up looks. Lots of fun. Some are a bit dramatic for a stay at home mom, day look but you get the idea. I love this one!

5 comments:

Linda said...

I have to tell you that I watched the last video you linked. When I put my make-up on yesterday, I wiggled my mascara.

TaLaisa said...

Did you wiggle your head too? I don't know how she can wiggle both without jabbing herself in the eye.

Linda said...

Hah! I did NOT wiggle my head but my mouth may have been moving...

TaLaisa said...

Did it help?

Linda said...

Not sure I could really tell a difference, but I was nervous I was just going to rub mascara on my eyelids.

Does it surprise you that I did it again the next time I put mascara on...?