Thursday, June 12, 2008

These shoes a metaphor for my life

*EDITOR's Note* Writer was very sleep deprived, you may need to be going on 4 hours of sleep to understand this post*


I bought these totally adorable and cheap shoes while out on a Mom Time Out trip the other night. My husband was not with me. I don't think I've bought a pair of shoes without him since we married. And if I have, there is a very good chance that they were cute and impractical and painful to 'break in'.

See he doesn't believe a pair of shoes should require blisters of the wearer. He's always been an advocate of good shoes. His Father was the same way. He'd often remind his children; you only have one pair of feet, take care of them. My late father-in-law may have been the ultimate penny pincher but when it came to shoes, he spared no expense for a good pair of shoes. My husband is the same way.

As I was walking tonight (wearing these shoes, because I bought them and blisters be danged I am going to wear them!) I started thinking about how my shoe choices have changed since the beginning of my marriage. I began to draw some interesting parallels.


These Shoes remind me a lot of my pre-marriage years. Cute, practical looking, comfortable looking and a little off the cuff as far as 'fitting in' with other things.

Under the surface they reveal more, they may look comfortable and easy going but there is a lot of work that goes into making it look that way. They heel is stiff (my stubbornness) and must be broken in, there is little to no arch support and walking in them is more work than the average walk in the park. Keeping them on my feet as I walked put a lot of stress on them.

I'll still keep them, wear them with caution and be ever ever ever so grateful for the shoes my husband has helped me pick out and my bare feet.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

Oh, but they are SO cute!