Monday, June 16, 2008

Who are you calling short??

I was at Walgreens looking at some make-up a few weeks ago. The 'beauty consultant' rushed over to help me. I was looking for nail polish and lipstick (I had some coupons and they had a sale). She grabbed a tube of mascara and said, "do NOT buy this, I've had lots of customers return it!".

Me; "okay thanks, what mascara do you recommend" (I was making polite small talk and engaging her about something she knew. BAD choice).

She squinted and looked right at my eyes. "Well I can tell you have really really REALLY short eyelashes, like me" (bats her eyes and blond microscopic lashes half painted black) "I'd recommend this one, it'll make you look like you have false eyelashes." I said, "thanks, I'll try that when my current tube runs out". And then bought what I came for and left quickly.

I've had experiences at make-up counters that would make most people drop their stuff where they stand and leave. I felt guilty (unnecessarily so) and bought the stuff anyway. But this day was different. I didn't buy her recommended mascara and my coupons made it so I actually made $$$ for buying the stuff, so it's different. Right?

Today, I put on mascara and noticed that my lashes were brushing against the insides ofmy sunglasses. And validated my thoughts that all those 'really's' were totally uncalled for.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

I always think it's funny when they follow up their little comment about my shortcomings with the old "like me" thing. Like that makes it better? I don't want to be "like you!" It's like in the south where everybody follows any dig with "bless your heart." I'm glad you stood strong and didn't waste your money on garbage -- and I have to remind myself often that I'm lucky my eyelashes rub against my sunglasses because darn that drives me nuts!